An all-new Pop Culture Beast is coming!

An all-new Pop Culture Beast is coming!
Pardon our dust!

Pop Culture Beast proudly supports The Trevor Project

Pop Culture Beast proudly supports The Trevor Project
Please consider doing the same.

Friday, May 23, 2008

19 years waiting and finally it's here...

It's 12:19 am right now. I just watched the Grey's Anatomy season finale (great show btw). My thoughts right now are leaping to the future. About 20 Hours from now I'll be sitting in the theater watching a movie I have been waiting to see for nearly two decades.

Does that sound incredible to say? I grew up in the 80s with movies like Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, Poltergeist, Monster Squad to name a few. While I loved, and still love, all of these movies none of them movies ever gave me such a feeling of awe and excitement as the Indiana Jones movies.

I watched the first two films on VHS and saw Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade in the theater. I was 9 years old. I've never forgotten it. Quo Vadis in Westland. Sitting on the edge of my seat, my eyes widening with anticipation as the lights dimmed and finally it began.

Twenty hours from now, 19 years later, myself now 28, I'll be on the edge of my seat as the lights go down and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull begins.

I am trying to stay neutral. I am trying to keep my sheer nuclear excitement under wraps trying to protect myself in case it is ruined as the Star Wars movies were.

I find myself torn. I love Star Wars. I liked Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones was decent, Revenge of the Sith was horrible. I watched as they got worse and worse but I never truly understood what that might mean to star wars fans until now.

In twenty hours I may well be faced with the ruination of Indiana Jones.

It might seem silly but when I was nine I was already dabbling in writing. I was already formulating this dream of mine. Last Crusade did nothing but guide me towards what I want to do with my life. I wanted to be part of the magic that goes into bringing movies like this to the world. As soon as that theme music started my mouth split open in a grin that never once left my face.

What happens if tomorrow night I sit in that theater and that grin never comes? George Lucas himself said "it's just a movie." People felt I may have overreacted to that simple defensive statement. I'll state my case again. It is not just a movie. It's inspiration. It's magic. It's Indiana Fucking Jones.

It's me at 9 years old walking out of a ratty old theater, snapping an imaginary whip, wondering when I'd see Indiana Jones in action again.

It's been a long time coming and I never once lost faith that I'd see him again. I can feel the 9 year old me wanting to jump up and down with giddy excitement. I can also feel the 28 year old me who witnessed another beloved franchises near destruction. This me is saying don't let it fool you. Resist it. Don't get giddy when that damn lucasfilm logo flitters across the screen. Don't get excited when that damnable music starts.

I'm afraid I might not be able to do that.

So tomorrow night, roughly 19 and a half hours from now. I will sit in that theater and I will be reminded of the magic and the inspiration that those movies were to me. I will walk out of the theater cracking my imaginary whip and wondering when I'll next see Indiana Jones.

At least I hope so...

I'm not sure if that nine year old self could survive if that magic was gone. If I witness a travesty, if I witness something terrible. I will be heartbroken. That is the truth.

I will post a review after I see the movie and you'll know a few hours or a day after I do, whether or not my faith in George Lucas, a man which I held with such regard, respect and admiration, remains intact. You'll know whether or not Indiana Jones remains in tact.

19 hours and change to go...


No comments: