An all-new Pop Culture Beast is coming!

An all-new Pop Culture Beast is coming!
Pardon our dust!

Pop Culture Beast proudly supports The Trevor Project

Pop Culture Beast proudly supports The Trevor Project
Please consider doing the same.

Monday, April 18, 2011

Blu-ray Review: Tron and Tron Legacy!

Tron is finally available on Blu-ray.  Oh and it comes with Tron Legacy.

The 2-movie collection of Tron and Tron Legacy features 5-discs.  Blu-ray, 3-D Blu-ray, DVD and Digital Copy of the lackluster Tron Legacy, and a Blu-ray of the original Tron.

It's a jam packed set.  Well it is if you have any interest in the 3-D Blu-ray (which I don't) or the Digital Copy (which I don't) or the DVD (Which I don't.)  But some do and if that's you then this is probably your best value.

As far as the films go, Tron to me still holds up.  It's a fun movie despite the age of the effects.  Tron Legacy on the other hand just isn't that great.  Visually and aurally stunning is the best I can say for it.  The plot is weak and is almost offensively reminiscent of Star Wars.  You can be certain that a third Tron will be made and I can only hope that now that getting everyone up to speed on the events of the Grid is done they can make Tron 3 a better film.

Both films do look incredible.  Tron Legacy especially.  The original looks extremely well despite its age.  The sound of course is stellar as well.

Disney has done a great job with special features again, aside from the plethora of discs in the set, you get a lot of interesting featurettes (including the Flynn Lives short that's all over the web now.), a music video, a peak at the upcoming animated series and much much more.

Buying the films individually will cost you $22.99 each.  For about $50 you can get this 5-disc set.  It's the better value.  Especially if you plan to go 3-D in the future, although I can't imagine why anyone would.

Tron and Tron Legacy 2-Movie Collection is in stores now!

1 comment:

Bryon said...

I had forgotten about the original Tron plot, which I don’t think I understood very well when I was a kid. I just watched the “Legacy” version and I’m really impressed with what they were able to envision for the future. I appreciate the sequel much more now that I’ve seen the original, but it is odd they made a sequel so long after since this generation doesn’t understand the premise. I just saw the Legacy version yesterday when I rented it on dishonline.com. I like that I can see all of the movies I could watch in one place there and when I log into my dishonline.com employee account I can set my DVR too. Jeff bridges looks like a kid in this movie. I feel so old.