An all-new Pop Culture Beast is coming!

An all-new Pop Culture Beast is coming!
Pardon our dust!

Pop Culture Beast proudly supports The Trevor Project

Pop Culture Beast proudly supports The Trevor Project
Please consider doing the same.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Music Review: Red Hot Chili Peppers ~ "I'm With You"


The Red Hot Chili Peppers are back with their 10th studio album and 5th guitarist. "I'm With You" was produced by Rick Rubin who, at this point, is the permanent 5th member of the band (having helmed their last 6 multiplatinum releases).

After their monster-selling, 28-song, double album "Stadium Arcadium," the band took a much needed 5-year break and are finally ready for fans to hear "I'm With You." The album does not disappoint. It kicks off with "Monarchy Of Roses" which finds the band on familiar territory with a great groove and sing-a-long chorus. "Factory Of Faith" opens with bass, bass, bass and finds singer Anthony Kiedis sexually rap-singing through one of the strongest tracks on "I'm With You." With lyrics like "All my life I was swinging for the fence, I was looking for the triple, never playing good defense" show just how clever Kiedis and crew continue to be with their double-entendre rock.

Kudos to the rhythm section of drummer Chad Smith and bassist Flea who ab-so-lutely dominate "I'm With You." Flea has some of the coolest bass riffs that I have heard on any album and Chad Smith is such a great drummer that it makes me wonder how he can play with the funky, proficient bass stylings of Flea one minute and the clunky meat and potatoes thud of ex-Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony in his side band Chickenfoot the next??

New guitarist Josh Klinghoffer is no stranger to working with the "RHCP," having performed live with the band on the last leg of their "Stadium Arcadium" tour. He's the perfect replacement for the now solo John Frusciante.

"I'm With You" doesn't necessarily find the Red Hot Chili Peppers breaking any new ground but the "funk-pop-rock" they have forged for almost 30 years is still solid. Even if you don't live in Southern California, playing "I'm With You" on your car stereo will keep summer alive well into those dark grey winter months!

Drumroll please… 8 out of 10 drumsticks!!

No comments: