An all-new Pop Culture Beast is coming!

An all-new Pop Culture Beast is coming!
Pardon our dust!

Pop Culture Beast proudly supports The Trevor Project

Pop Culture Beast proudly supports The Trevor Project
Please consider doing the same.

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Blu-Ray DVD Review: "Cloud Atlas"


"Cloud Atlas" is one of those movies that took me by surprise.

I thought it would be the kind of movie that you pop in the DVD player while you're doing other things: paying bills, catching up on e-mails or wrapping a birthday present.

And then...

After about 20 minutes I was totally hooked into the ever changing story lines, time periods and characters.

Just when I would really start getting into the story unfolding on screen... I was transported to another location, and then another and then another.  By the time I was back to the original story that had intrigued me I had a million loose ends in my head and I couldn't wait to see how they all came together.

Watching "Cloud Atlas" is kind of like switching your TV remote control between "Breaking Bad," "Battlestar Galactica," "Mad Men" and the "Walking Dead" and watching them all at once.

"Cloud Atlas" was based on the novel by David Mitchell and was written and directed by Tom Tykwer (Run Lola Run) and "The Wachowskis" (Matrix Trilogy) though I can't imagine reading the script and being able to make heads or tails of all the characters.

Is it difficult to keep all the ever changing characters straight... yes.  Is it fun to try... YES!

The movie looks stunning on Blu-Ray and features include:

- Everything is Connected
- The Impossible Adaptation
- The Essence of Acting
- Spaceships, Slaves and Sextets
- The Bold Science Fiction Of Cloud Atlas
- Eternal Recurrence: Love, Life and Longing in Cloud Atlas

The work put into the making of this film is ambitious to say the least and although the end results are not 100% thoroughly satisfying it is a journey that film lovers will enjoy taking.

Drumroll please... 6.5 drumsticks out of 10!!!

No comments: