An all-new Pop Culture Beast is coming!

An all-new Pop Culture Beast is coming!
Pardon our dust!

Pop Culture Beast proudly supports The Trevor Project

Pop Culture Beast proudly supports The Trevor Project
Please consider doing the same.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

New Pop Culture Beast Writer: Kari Tervo

Image via Today.com

Hi, I’m Kari Tervo. I’m a new writer here at Pop Culture Beast. I’d like to introduce myself. Hi!

Writing for Pop Culture Beast is going to be an adventure. The pop culture landscape is constantly changing. New movies! Songs! Books! Games! Magazines! Hot people, places, things! People we know well doing dumb things, and people we’ve never heard of til now doing cool things! And then there are all the ideas that emerge from that delightful pop culture mess. What does it all mean? I’m here to review and react to pop culture happenings, current and classic. With so many talented (and ridiculous) people on this planet, I think it’s going to be a good time.

CLICK AND RAWR FOR MAWR AFTER THE JUMP! Learn about how I got into this pop culture mess, and find out what I'm into! [offer not valid from direct URL and in Pennsylvania]


I wasn’t always into pop culture. I focused pretty much only on books. Then when I was in grad school, I found myself saying a lot of things like, “I’m studying the endophenotypic characteristics of people in the schizophrenia prodrome.” First of all, what? Second of all, that’s not chatter you enjoy over a Miller Lite. 

I wanted to relate to people better. That's probably a good goal for someone in psychology. So I started picking up Us and People. I started trawling TMZ, and rolling my eyes at Perez Hilton. And I started having better social discussions, because pop culture helped me relate to almost anyone (except that researcher who said she’d never heard of Friends, but if that’s the case, it’s probably for the better). Everyone knows who Lady Gaga is. Most people know Paula Deen is trying to emerge from a scandal. Many people have read Harry Potter, or saw the latest summer blockbuster. And we all adore Anderson Cooper’s giggle!

Pop culture brings people together, and I love it. One time? For this public-speaking group Toastmasters? (definite American Pie reference, except I really talk like that), I had to give an impromptu speech on "America's greatest export." I talked all about pop culture and what it had done for me, and how it is a unifier. I think I was supposed to say, "the polio vaccine."

Pop culture is pretty broad. What am I into? For music, I primarily like EDM and hip-hop. My movie tastes trend to documentaries, but I like the occasional hit or quirky indie, too. I subscribe to Entertainment Weekly and Wired. I'm also into zines, those DIY magazines. The last book I read was a delightful Carl Hiaasen, “Nature Girl.” I'm way into stand-up comedy. And I love, love, love celebrities. I’m from the northwoods of rural Michigan, so they’re like unicorns to me. One time? I was in the pit at American Idol? (see about American Pie?), and Ryan Seacrest brushed my shoulder as he walked by. I swooned, and like the time Davy Jones gave Marcia Brady a peck on the cheek, I told myself I would never wash my shoulder again. 

Ryan Seacrest’s pixie dust is no longer on my person, but I still have a fresh-faced and giddy view on celebrities. Sometimes I get mad at them. You’ll see!

I hope you’re as excited as I am about this great Pop Culture Beast adventure we’re on. Check back frequently, and come on by and sit for a spell! Bring your own recommendations and reactions. I need help navigating this wonderful world. We’re talking pop culture, baby. And it’s a beast.

GET AT ME ON TWITTER! @PopCultureKari   Work those 140 characters!


No comments: