An all-new Pop Culture Beast is coming!

An all-new Pop Culture Beast is coming!
Pardon our dust!

Pop Culture Beast proudly supports The Trevor Project

Pop Culture Beast proudly supports The Trevor Project
Please consider doing the same.

Friday, October 25, 2013

Wired Magazine Sends Shameful Mixed Message About Women

by Kari Tervo

I'm interested in science and technology, so I've been a Wired subscriber for years. One thing that has always kind of bummed me out about it is that it's so heavy on men and "men's interests" (even men's fashion spreads!), often leaving women in the cold. Well, I guess they dissected a Midol once for their "What It's Made Of" feature. Good looking out for the interests of women, Wired!

So I was particularly jazzed about the cover of the November 2013 issue:

CLICK RAWR TO SEE WIRED'S SHAMEFUL MIXED MESSAGE!


Now there's a powerful image and statement. A young Latina girl being touted as the next Steve Jobs?! Remember, this is a magazine that has given superficial treatment to the interests of women in science and technology. I was like, Wired, woot!

But, then I turned the magazine over. I'm a subscriber, and the magazine irritatingly comes bundled in plastic every month with an ad for a different magazine on the back. It's usually for GQ or something else dudey, and I'm used to that. So I usually just roll my eyes and open the magazine. That's one of the things I have to do as a woman in this world, is accept women being treated as sex objects to read about science (messed up, huh?). But, this month was different. They put this young, brilliant Latina on the cover as the "next Steve Jobs," and look what ad they bundled with it:


Yeah. That's really what they did.

So, Wired, which is it? Are the perspectives and contributions of women valuable in science and technology, or are we just meant to be masturbation material for your male readers? Are we talking about sex, or are we talking about science? Do you want women to feel welcome picking up your magazine, or not?

I'm tired of not seeing female perspectives widely represented in science and technology. Encouraging the participation of women in science on the front cover, and then positioning us as sex objects on the back, is a slap in the face. Wired, you have some serious explaining to do.

No comments: