An all-new Pop Culture Beast is coming!

An all-new Pop Culture Beast is coming!
Pardon our dust!

Pop Culture Beast proudly supports The Trevor Project

Pop Culture Beast proudly supports The Trevor Project
Please consider doing the same.

Monday, December 9, 2013

DVD Review: All Hallows Eve


I'm not gonna lie, I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder when it comes to horror movies that appear to go straight to video.  I grew up during a time where this meant your movie was terrible and in a lot of cases this is still true.  The thing is that today is a rapidly evolving world in terms of film and film distribution so have a movie release on DVD and not have a big (or any) theatrical release is not necessarily an indication of the quality of the movie.  Look at Curse of Chucky for a prime example, which I think went direct to DVD more as a way to get the Chucky Collection box set to sell more copies rather than as a determiner of its quality.  It's great btw.

So it was not without a bit of trepidation that I sat down to watch All Hallows' Eve, an anthology/narrative hybrid about a babysitter and her two charges watching an unmarked VHS tape.  The tape contains three stories all featuring a maniacal clown, amongst other things, doing all manner of horrific things to various people.

I had seen the trailer for this one and I found myself interested in seeing it, and after watching it, I am pleased to say it's damn good.  I watch a lot of horror movies and it takes a lot for me to get creeped out.  I'm not talking jump scenes, I am talking genuine creeps.  All Hallows' Eve delivers the good old fashioned under your skin back of your neck creeps.  The kind you just don't get anymore.

Heavy on gore and scares, this film delivers something for pretty much any horror fan.  When I finished watching it, I'll be honest, I was hesitant to turn the lights off.  I had no idea what manner of demon or monster would show up once the light was gone.

That is exactly the way you should feel after a good horror movie, the need to check your locks and then get up out of bed to check them again.  All Hallows' Eve left me with that feeling.

This is definitely a fun flick to watch with friends and one that you can enjoy scaring yourself with even if you're all alone.  Don't let the cover fool you.  This movie is about so much more than a clown.  It's really rather multilayered in terms of its scares and what kind of monstrosities you experience.

I'm not going to spoil anything for you just do yourself a favor and check it out.  It's a fun little flick that does prove that releasing on DVD does not have to be a indicator of a bad movie.  Not by any stretch.  I, for one, can't wait for a sequel.

All Hallows's Eve is available now.

9/10 Cursed VHS Tapes

No comments: