An all-new Pop Culture Beast is coming!

An all-new Pop Culture Beast is coming!
Pardon our dust!

Pop Culture Beast proudly supports The Trevor Project

Pop Culture Beast proudly supports The Trevor Project
Please consider doing the same.

Friday, January 31, 2014

Bat Vs Supes Gets Lex and Alfred


Warner Bros. have officially announced the casting of Bruce Wayne's butler, Alfred, and Superman's arch-nemesis Lex Luthor.

If you listen closely you can hear the nerd rage building.  Not so much over Alfred but over Lex Luthor.  The rumors were pretty strong that Breaking Bad's Bryan Cranston was a sure thing for the role.  That has proven to be wildly untrue and on the complete opposite end of the spectrum.

For the sake of spoilers and for those who do not want to know, I'll drop this under a cut.  Click the RAWR to find out who got the roles!




First up, Jeremy Irons has been cast as Alfred.  Not a bad choice.  I can see why the chose him.


I don't think this is what's causing the uproar though.  It's the casting of Lex Luthor.

Who will be playing Superman's #1 villain?


Jesse Eisenberg.  Let me start by saying I love Jesse Eisenberg.  I think he's a wonderful actor and I definitely count myself as a fan.  But is he Lex Luthor?  I don't think so.    Why do we need to see a 20 something Lex Luthor?  We covered that in that god awful TV show.  Why do they want to turn Lex Luthor into Mark Zuckerburg?

This casting feels like someone thinking the world will find them brilliant for doing something different when in reality, no.

Look, I could be wrong.  It could turn out amazing.  Personally though, I think casting Lex Luthor as a kid is a grand mistake.  Lex Luthor is a man with history, he needs lines in his face.  He needs to be wise and brilliant.  He is not some punk twenty year old with computer savvy who plans to take over the world with a self-aware social network program.

This entire movie is starting to feel like some elaborate prank.

No comments: