An all-new Pop Culture Beast is coming!

An all-new Pop Culture Beast is coming!
Pardon our dust!

Pop Culture Beast proudly supports The Trevor Project

Pop Culture Beast proudly supports The Trevor Project
Please consider doing the same.

Friday, June 6, 2014

BLOG ZINE: Look In, or Look Out

by Kari Tervo

Hi. So. . .it's been a while. I was studying for a professional exam (I passed YEAH!), I got a new job, and my dog died. Transitions make me reflect, look within, and see myself in a different context, so here's a couple of zines on that theme: one looks out towards the world of circus performance, and the other stays within, examining life's personal details.

Here's the FAQ if you want a refresher.

Here's my rating system:

Here’s my Rating System:
Recommended: !
It’s Aiight: .
Maybe If You’re Into That Sort of Thing: ? - See more at: http://www.popculturebeast.com/2013/10/blog-zine-weekly-online-zine-reviews.html#sthash.cA4OZmLZ.dpuf
Recommended: !
It’s Aiight: .
Maybe If You’re Into That Sort of Thing: ? - See more at: http://www.popculturebeast.com/2013/10/blog-zine-weekly-online-zine-reviews.html#sthash.cA4OZmLZ.dpuf
Recommended: !

It's Aiight: .

Maybe If You're Into That Sort of Thing:  ?


CLICK RAWR TO BE AWESOME!

Trabant #5
Rating: !!!
Price:  not listed

Megan Gendell
megan@somethingsbegun.com

This is exactly the kind of zine I love: a per-zine that gives us a glimpse into a world we might not otherwise know about. In Trabant #5, Megan Gendell chronicles her attendance at a 9-month professional circus training program. She navigates her tight schedule, shares what it takes to create an acrobatic program that is both technically-impressive and emotionally stirring, and wow--circus training sure requires a lot of attention to the body, even in her free time. Her difficulties with injuries and fatigue lead to moments of crushing self-doubt, but Megan works hard to evaluate and manage her emotions in the context of her desire to reach her goals. Luckily, she finds a supportive community in her instructors and classmates. Her personal insights about body image, self-care, and motivation are inspiring for anyone who feels like they're swinging through life without a net (see what I did there?!). These insights are packed into a neat story about circus life. This is a solid, well-written zine.

The East Village Inky
Rating: ?
Price:  $3

Ayun Halliday
http://ayunhalliday.com/

Setting the standard for omphaloskepsis, Ayun lovingly chronicles the minutiae of her daily life: children, pets, various kitchen items. In other words, it's basically a Midwestern mom's scrapbook. If you're into that sort of thing, do it to it, but bring a magnifying glass. Not for further evaluation of that day she did that thing (there are over 50 issues of that), but to decipher her tiny, scrunched-together handwriting.

So in the meantime, when I wasn't here and all out and about and resumeing and biting the end of my pen as I studied for my exam, I did manage to put together another zine. It's called Brightline: Six Poems About Light and Darkness. It's all about trusting your inner spark. You can pick up a copy here if ya want.

I've missed you guys. I'll try not to be so much of a stranger. I'ma go transition into the report I'm supposed to be writing right now.


















No comments: