An all-new Pop Culture Beast is coming!

An all-new Pop Culture Beast is coming!
Pardon our dust!

Pop Culture Beast proudly supports The Trevor Project

Pop Culture Beast proudly supports The Trevor Project
Please consider doing the same.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Great Moments In Pop Culture Uncoolness: SHAWTY

by Kari Tervo

So there's this concept called the mondegreen, when you mis-hear a song lyric as another word. I've done that a bunch, and here's one I cringe at. I love hip-hop, but I'm not always. . .hip. 

Here are some GREAT MOMENTS IN POP CULTURE UNCOOLNESS:
 
2003: In Da Club by 50 Cent is released. Kari rocks out to the song every time it comes on, and one day looks to her friend and says, "I love this song! But who's Charlotte?" Friend says, "What are you talking about?" Kari replies, "You know, he says, 'Go Charlotte, it's your birthday!'" Friend smacks her forehead and says, "Shawty. It's go SHAWTY."
2004: Kari is standing in the coffee cart line at work, and a guy standing behind her looks her up and down and says, Daaaamn, shawty! And Kari thinks he is remarking on her height and chipperly responds, "I know, I am really short. I'm only 5 feet tall!" Guy looks at her in utter disbelief and shakes his head.



 
Go! Go! Go! Go Charlotte! It's your birthday!


No comments: