An all-new Pop Culture Beast is coming!

An all-new Pop Culture Beast is coming!
Pardon our dust!

Pop Culture Beast proudly supports The Trevor Project

Pop Culture Beast proudly supports The Trevor Project
Please consider doing the same.

Friday, June 28, 2013

Bob Saget: “That’s What I’m Talkin’ About” (2013) CD Review

I never saw Full House, and could only occasionally stand to watch America’s Funniest Home Videos. But I’ve always heard that Bob Saget is actually a wonderfully filthy comedian. Yet for one reason or another I never got to hear his routine, though of course I was curious. With the release of his new comedy album, That’s What I’m Talkin’ About, I finally got my chance to enjoy his standup routine.

He begins by saying, “I don’t want to offend anybody; I want to offend everybody.” And he just rips into it, which I appreciate. “Looking at your happy faces makes me just want to put my hand up your butt and work you like a Jeff Dunham puppet.”

He works quickly too, going right from one thought rapidly to the next. His approach, or delivery, is kind of rambling, but like express rambling. You know? He also directly addresses members of the audience, asking a guy how drunk he is, then talking about the hole at the end of his penis, thinking it’s a frown. It is to a couple of audience members (including someone called J-Bone) that he constantly returns throughout the performance.

Early on he issues a warning: “There are people out there that are screwed up, and I know that because I’m going to be outside later.” Then: “I actually had a tattoo of a condom put on my penis because I don’t want to use protection anymore.” It’s interesting that he does apologize on occasion – “I’m sorry, that’s too far.” Of course, he’s not really sorry, and it’s never too far. He says, “I’m sacrilegious – I worship my sac.” Amen.

A few thoughts:
About his mom, who is eighty-seven and still drives: “I got her a prescription windshield.”
About doing a show in the Ukraine: “The legal age of consent in the Ukraine is Yes.”
About working on snuff films: “Snuff is good. It’s one take and you’re out of there.”

Interestingly, he mentions that old joke, if a guy were able to go down on himself he’d never leave the house. Brian Posehn also did a riff on that joke on his new comedy CD, The Fartist. Both say they would leave the house. But while Brian says it would be to get therapy, Bob Saget says, “I would leave the house, because I want people to see that shit.”

At the end of the show, he does several songs, introducing each of them as being in poor taste. He jokes about the first song: “It’s about Lucas’ penis. It’s a very short song.” The song “When I Think Of You” is his version of “Lola.” Probably my favorite is the one about dating a girl in the nursing home.

That’s What I’m Talkin’ About was recorded in Seattle, and is scheduled to be released on July 16, 2013 through New Wave Dynamics. 

No comments: