An all-new Pop Culture Beast is coming!

An all-new Pop Culture Beast is coming!
Pardon our dust!

Pop Culture Beast proudly supports The Trevor Project

Pop Culture Beast proudly supports The Trevor Project
Please consider doing the same.

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Blu-ray Review - The Conjuring


Just because our 31 Days of Scream'O'Ween feature is ending today doesn't mean the horror has to stop.  In fact, there is a great little horror movie that came out just this year that you can enjoy.

The Conjuring took the world by storm and exploded into theaters bringing in a huge amount of money and unless I am mistaken, out performing any expectations.

Click the RAWR and see just how it even exceeded mine!




Regular readers now we're big horror fans here.  I've been a little lackluster on recent horror releases as they've just not been all that great.  Remakes, which I'm not entirely against, are killing the genre mainly because they're just not good.  The same thing with sequels, I love a good sequel, as long as it is good.   In the case of the Saw franchise, all of them were bad and just got worse as they went along.  In my opinion at least.  I know plenty others disagree.

Here we are with The Conjuring.  From the director of Saw and Insidious.  Saw, which I hated, Insidious which I liked until its weird ending.   So I was torn here.  Based on that I wasn't sure where I would stand on this one.

Then came the trailer, and the advanced praise, and I found myself actually looking forward to the movie.  Unfortunately,  I wasn't able to see it in the theater for whatever reason.  Plans were made but something always came up.   Luckily for me, the blu-ray landed on my doorstep and I was finally able to see it.

Let me say, it's great.  Overrated?  Not at all.   It had me captivated, scared, and jumping left and right. James Wan is growing as a director with each film he does and The Conjuring is his best yet.

Based on a true story from the case files of Demonologists Ed and Lorraine Warren, The Conjuring tells the story of a family being terrorized by demonic forces inside their home.  There is even a guest star from another famous Warren case, Annabelle the Doll, not too mention a quick mention of another famous haunted house.

The Conjuring is old school horror at its best.  Limited, if any, CGI effects, great scares, terrific acting, and a well written script.  Watching it alone and in the dark had me sufficiently creeped out and I'm not ashamed to admit locking all the doors and windows, for whatever that would be worth.  I have high hopes for a sequel featuring more of the Warrens experiences.

The blu-ray looks spectacular.  Both picture and audio are pristine and there are some nice features worth checking out.   The true pleasure in watching The Conjuring though is knowing that horror is not dead and that there is hope for continual success in this genre.  Especially, if we get more original, scary, and most of all GOOD films like The Conjuring.

Against all odds, The Conjuring is the scariest film of the year.

The Conjuring is available on DVD and Blu-ray now.

10/10 Haunted Houses!






No comments: