An all-new Pop Culture Beast is coming!

An all-new Pop Culture Beast is coming!
Pardon our dust!

Pop Culture Beast proudly supports The Trevor Project

Pop Culture Beast proudly supports The Trevor Project
Please consider doing the same.

Monday, May 5, 2014

DVD Review - Lewis Black: Old Yeller: Live at the Borgata in Atlantic City

By Adam Ruhl



I’m going to start this review with a little honesty. I have never reviewed a stand-up comedy DVD before; I didn’t know how to do it. I even went to the computer and Googled myself up some reviews so I could see what others had done. After a handful of those I resolved that I was going to do mine differently. There are a couple of reasons for this.


Most of them start off with talking about how much they love the comedian, in my case Lewis Black in his new DVD “Lewis Black: Old Yeller: Live at the Borgata in Atlantic City”, and they describe what the comedian jokes about and what shows they’ve been on. I adore Lewis Black and this is an amazing feature-length routine worth buying, however odds are that if you’re reading this article you already know Lewis Black from the Daily Show and other stuff. If you don’t know who Lewis Black is and you’re on the fence about purchasing Lewis Black: Old Yeller: Live at the Borgata in Atlantic City, the sad truth is I cannot adequately convey his physically expressive comedy in written form. Check out a few YouTube clips and you will get a real good idea of just how funny this comedian is.

Also, many of the reviews I saw went down a full set-list of the show and gave all the topics that were discussed. This just screams spoilers to me and again I’d be giving the topics without context of what really made them funny. Lewis Black gives an amazing performance that is delivered very much in his familiar ‘ranting’ style. In fact Black appears to be getting angrier and ‘rantier’ as time goes on and I had to back the disc up often because I couldn’t stop laughing. The 81 minute run-time just flies by and I could have listened to more.


I guess you could consider this less of a review and more of an announcement that a great piece of comedy work hits the shelves on DVD on May 6th. The picture and sound is superb, even for a live performance. There are no extras on the disc except for the chapter menu. Pick this up for a great Friday or Saturday night at home, you will not be disappointed. It's so good it doesn't even have a rating, just a message on the box that says WARNING: CONTAINS EXPLICIT LANGUAGE, boy does it!

Lewis Black: Old Yeller: Live at the Borgata in Atlantic City available now on Amazon.

No comments: